Today, I’ll be sharing the best Korean essence products in the market, so you may want to get comfortable!
If you want a natural dewy look that looks like it came straight from a Snapchat filter, you’re going to love these products!
They really help keep your skin hydrated and moisturized, as well as adding nutrients to your skin.
Start with a quick peek at my favorites, then read on for the full review!
RELATED: 10 Best K Beauty on Amazon
Korean Essence Top Picks at a Glance
If you see the value in these products and choose to purchase via my referral links, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
- TONYMOLY The Chok Chok (Best for All Skin Types)
- Huxley Oil Essence (Best for Oily & Sensitive Skin)
- SeoulCeuticals Korean Essence (Best for Acne-prone Skin)
See all five in our side-by-side comparison table:
5 Best Korean Essence for Your Skin
As always, I tried several products before choosing my top 5 picks and researched to see what other people’s experiences were like.
Without further ado, let me show you what I got.
1. TONYMOLY The Chok Chok (Best for All Skin Types)
I really can’t keep track of the number of TonyMoly products I’ve used. And NO, it’s not because it’s one of the most popular Korean skincare lines ( okay, it is, but just partly?)
They deliver exactly what they promise, so when I’m looking for products to review, they’re always on top of my list.
Okay, enough of the chit-chat, let’s get to the important part.
The essence is packed in a nice glass bottle, which isn’t very reliable during travels. I prefer traveling with beauty products packed in tubes because they occupy a little space and rarely spill.
When it comes to ingredients, the essence is made of 80% of green tea extracts. While green tea is a big name in the slimming industry, the extracts are powerful in skincare routines.
Among the many benefits, green tea extracts help diminish any kind of blemishes such as blackheads and acne.
The essence also helps in reducing the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and cellulite.
Green tea extracts are also great exfoliating agents as they help pull dirt and bacteria from the skin and eliminate dead skin.
The rosewood oil in the product also helps in firming up the skin and removing stretch marks.
Another great ingredient, in the essence, is lemon seed oil which has excellent exfoliating powers too. It also provides your skin with vitamin C and antioxidants.
|It helps in reducing skin acne, blackheads, and other skin blemishes, leaving you with clear skin.||Some complaints about customer service issues|
|It helps in exfoliating the skin by pulling out the dirt||A few customers had a reaction, so spot-test first.|
|It leaves your skin moisturized and hydrated|
|It’s super lightweight, and it feels great after application|
How it Compares to Others and Why
This essence stands out because of its main ingredient (green tea extracts), which has many skin benefits.
It’s also a great product because it works for any skin type. For those with oily skin, the essence doesn’t leave you feeling greasy.
And for dry skin, it has just enough moisture to leave your skin hydrated.
- Like any other product on this list, ensure you do a patch test before applying the essence to your entire face.
- For best results, apply the essence at least twice a day.
READ MORE: Should I Use Essence at Night?
2. THANKYOU, FARMER Rice Pure Essential Toner (Best for Dry Skin)
I love the story and the philosophy of the thank you farmer products. If you haven’t heard the story, relax – I’m about to tell you.
They follow the same policy a farmer follows to grow their crops. The company aims at giving your skin all essentials that you need to maintain healthy skin by providing safe formulas.
Do they live up to their mission statement? Absolutely. But who is this product right for? I’ll be discussing all that in a jiffy.
One of the essential ingredients of this Korean beauty essence is the rice extract. They grow, cultivate, and harvest their rice under very specific conditions to ensure you get the maximum benefits.
The rice extract helps in getting rid of skin dullness and corrects skin tone.
Another great ingredient, in the essence, is the lotus flower extract that helps in moisturizing the skin and giving it a glow.
This is especially important for people with dry & flaky skin. It also helps in balancing the skin’s oil content, which helps in dealing with acne blemishes.
If you’re not a fan of scented products, you’ll be happy to know that the Thankyou farmer essence is fragrance-free.
|It leaves the skin hydrated and moisturized, giving it a natural glow||One customer felt it wasn’t very hydrating.|
|The rice extract is derived from rice grown in special conditions to ensure you enjoy maximum benefits.||Another felt it WAS hydrating, but she didn’t see results after a month.|
|It clears skin blemishes and acne, leaving your skin smooth.|
How it Compares to Others and Why
Thankyou farmers essence sets itself apart through its ingredient list. The rice extract is grown under excellent conditions to milk all its benefits.
It also contains other great ingredients, such as lotus flower extract packed with so many skincare benefits.
- Although this product is recommended for all skin types, I find it more practical for dry and flaky skin.
- It’s also great for oily skin during winter or if you haven’t moisturized your skin for a long time.
- ✔️[RICE PURE ESSENTIAL TONER] Formulated with a blend of rice extract and other natural ingredients that work to reduce the appearance of dullness and balance of oil-water content.
- ✔️[INGREDIENT] An enriched essence formula is formulated with Gyodong Rice Extract 100,000ppm that removes skin dullness, Lotus Flower Extract gives vitality, while Centella Asiatica Extract soothes the skin. It’s free of Parabens, Phenoxyethanol, Benzophenone, Ethanol, Triethanolamine, Clofenesin, Artificial Color, Artificial Fragrance.
- ✔️[RICE EXTRACT] The main ingredient is the best quality Rice Extract from a pollution-free clean Gyodong Island. Rice has been used as an ingredient of skincare since ancient times. The “rice water” have been used to create smooth and moisturize skin.
- ✔️[MADE IN KOREA] Our Rice Pure Essential Toners are all made in South Korea safe and tested for daily usage.
- ✔️[HOW TO USE] After washing your face, apply an appropriate amount of toner on a palm or a cotton pad, then gently put along the face.
3. TONYMOLY Timeless Snail Essence (Best for Moisturization)
I’m back again with another TonyMoly product, and you’ll see why I gave the brand an extra spot once you read the details.
My experience was really good, and at least I had used a beauty product with snail mucin, so I knew what I was getting myself into.
So, what are the best features and drawbacks of this essence? Is it worth your money? Read on to find out.
The greatest feature of this essence is the Gold Fermented Snail Mucus that makes up 80% of the product. Their snails are fed with a special gold, green tea-infused product before skin extraction.
So, what does the snail mucin do to your skin? It promotes the production of collagen, as well as healing and regenerating your skin.
Mucin also has excellent hydrating properties, which makes it indispensable for people with dry skin.
Another great feature of the products is the serum that further helps hydrate your skin, while the oil locks in the moisture into your skin.
|After a few weeks of using it, you’ll realize your skin appears healthier||I think they could do better with their package.|
|It leaves your skin dewy, which is amazing, especially for those with dry skin.||The idea of snail mucin can be offputting to squeamish people.|
|It works well for oily skin, too, as it doesn’t leave your skin feeling greasy||Pricier than other options so far.|
|It gives your skin a nice glow|
|It reduces the appearance of wrinkles and other blemishes|
How it Compares to Others and Why
This Korean essence for dry skin stands out from the rest because of its ability to lock in moisture and keep it hydrated.
Another way it sets itself from competition is its ingredients, especially the Fermented gold Snail Mucus.
- If you’ve never used a beauty product with snail mucin before, do a patch test to ensure you’re not allergic to it.
- For better results, apply every day for a month.
4. Huxley Oil Essence (Best for Oily & Sensitive Skin)
Using the Huxley oil essence was kind of high for me. Do you know those moments when everything checks out effortlessly? That’s what it was for me.
Applying it was so easy, and it was quickly absorbed in my skin. It didn’t feel sticky and greasy AND, it was lightweight, so it was so comfortable on my skin.
You get the drill.
Anyway, here are more details about the Huxley oil essence.
One feature that makes this one of the best Korean essence products is its ingredient list.
The two that caught my eye were the Quinoa and the yerba mate life. The latter helps in getting rid of skin rashes.
On the other hand, Quinoa is rich in vitamin E, and it protects the skin from further environmental pollution and free radicals. It also helps in repairing any skin damage.
|It leaves your skin nourished and moisturized||It has a very strong fragrance.|
|It’s neither sticky or greasy, which is an excellent bonus for those with oily skin.||Somewhat pricey (although not as much as the Snail essence above).|
|It’s lightweight and comfortable to wear|
|It’s hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic|
How it Compares to Others and Why
The Huxley Oil Essence has a great ingredient list that keeps your skin healthy, wrinkle-free, and simply gives you a younger and more vibrant look.
And the fact that it’s hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic is a big plus.
- If you want to take your skincare to the next level, consider buying the Huxley toner and anti-gravity product. This will work exceptionally well if you don’t have an established skincare routine.
5. SeoulCeuticals Korean Essence (Best for Acne-prone Skin)
Having a Korean beauty product list and not mentioning the seoulticals feels wrong.
I’m sure the first time you started using Korean products, they were on your top list, and chances are you’ve bought several times from them.
No? Just me? Okay.
Anyway, read on to see if their Korean essence is for you.
Like any other of their products, this Korean essence has powerful skin ingredients. It contains a blend of aloe vera, Japanese green tea, tamarind & cucumber extract, and marine minerals. This explains why it’s considered the most nutritious skin care product line.
The other great thing worth mentioning is that the essence formula is 98% naturally driven, which is vital for acne-prone skin.
|It’s non-comedogenic||The spray nozzle doesn’t always work well.|
|It balances your skin’s pH||While it feels amazing, I didn’t notice any major long-lasting effects.|
|It works well for all skin types|
|It leaves your skin hydrated (and it’s VERY cooling in the summer!)|
How it Compares to Others and Why
This best Korean essence for acne prone skin is fantastic since it can be used for all skin types. Like our previous essence, it’s also non-comedogenic.
Its formula is also 98% naturally derived, which translates to a lower possibility of skin reactions.
I’m actually using this one right now, and one thing I noticed is that it feels freaking amazing on a hot day! It has a very cooling effect.
I even use it on my feet! Seriously, the cooling effect alone makes it worth the low price.
That said, it’s more of an instant hydrator. I didn’t notice any major skin changes after using it long-term.
- The Korean essence was designed as a hydration prepping mist, so it should be applied after exfoliating and moisturizing the skin for best results.
- I found their nozzle spray very ineffective, so I suggest using a pad for application. This will allow you to focus on all your face parts.
Korean Essences FAQs
Here are popular central questions that people ask regarding Korean essence.
Why use a Korean essence at all?
Korean essence is not a mandatory step in a makeup routine. However, they have multiple skin benefits, such as hydrating the skin, preventing premature aging, and protecting sensitive skin from environmental pollution.
Applying Korean essence also allows other beauty products that you apply to be easily absorbed into your skin.
How is essence different from serum, toner, and ampoule?
Essence is like a middle ground between a toner and a serum. Their sole goal is to inject that first moisture into your skin once you exfoliate the skin. Subsequently, it allows you to maximize serum benefits since it’s well absorbed after applying the essence.
Another significant difference is on the ingredient list. Most toners, serum, and ampoules may have harsh ingredients that may potentially trigger irritation or acne if used frequently. On the other hand, essences are made with safe ingredients and can be applied every day with no side effects.
How to use Korean skin essence?
First, clean your face and apply your toner to exfoliate your skin. Secondly, apply your Korean essence to hydrate and moisturize your skin.
From here, you can apply the serum (but it’s okay to skip it) and then proceed to other makeup products.
There has always been a debate of whether or not essences are an important part of a skincare routine.
For me, after living with a face full of acne for years, any idea to get and maintain that glow is always welcome.
I highly recommend adding one of the products to our best Korean essence review list, especially if you’re struggling with face dryness, acne, and wrinkles.
- “Benefits of Green Tea for Skin: Acne, Skin Cancer, and Others.” 2019. Healthline. June 18, 2019. https://www.healthline.com/health/benefits-of-green-tea-for-skin#green-tea-and-skin-cancer.
- “Rice Water for Skin: Uses, Benefits and Efficacy.” n.d. Healthline. https://www.healthline.com/health/rice-water-for-skin.
- “What Is Snail Mucin?” n.d. WebMD. Accessed June 9, 2021. https://www.webmd.com/beauty/what-is-snail-mucin.
Have you ever used a Korean essence before? How was your experience? Please share with us!