Everyone wants to get their hands on the Korean lip care routine.
And by everyone, I mean anyone and everyone! How could we not?
K-beauty products are amazing and cater not only to skin concerns but have a plethora of products to keep one’s lips smooth and plump.
Keep reading to learn everything you need to know about getting perfectly kissable lips the Korean way!
READ MORE: Best Vitamin C Serum Korean Skincare
Complete Korean Lip Care Routine to Prevent Dry & Chapped Lips
I have tried tons of Korean lip products such as lip scrubs, lip tint, and lip balm.
Meaning, I am quite well-versed in the simple steps that make up the Korean routine. And I’m going to share it all with you.
Getting your lip game strong isn’t as extensive as the 10-step skincare regimen, thank goodness! But, you’ve got to understand that your lips (and skin) are an investment: of time, effort and consistency.
If you make sure to follow these steps down to the T, even on days when you couldn’t be bothered to get out of your PJs and change, you know you’re going to get lips that are plump and juicy!
Let’s get started with the steps then, shall we?
FYI, this post contains affiliate links. We earn a commission if you make a purchase at no extra cost to you.
Step 1: Remove lip products with a makeup remover.
Removing lip products such as matte lipstick can be a pain in the you-know-what!
First off, I don’t recommend applying matte lipstick at all, but if you must, make sure to remove it with a cleansing balm meant for the lips.
How to do it?
Take the lip makeup cleanser and pour a few drops on a cotton pad. Gently wipe it against your lips and make sure to get every nook and corner to remove any makeup effectively.
My favorite is the Etude House Lip & Eye Remover that has a combination of both water and oil.
Meaning, it removes even the most matte lipsticks and doesn’t leave lipstick stains behind in the cracks of my lips. You feel? And bonus! It works on eye makeup too.
- COMPLEX face makeup remover and cleanser with soothing effect
- COMBINATION OF WATER AND OIL gently, yet effectively, erases all traces of makeup, even waterproof
- DUAL-PHASE FORMULA does not irritate sensitive skin around eyes and lips
- FOR BEST USE, shake liquid remover well to mix water and oil layers together for more effective cleansing
- APPLY to eye and lip area using soft cotton or tissue for your convenience
Step 2: Exfoliate!
You heard it! Your lips need gentle exfoliation too. And not with your skin products, geez! You’ll need a dedicated lip scrub to do the work for you.
Like your skin, you get dead skin on your lips as well. It is best to find a product that removes all dead skin cells to help reveal beautiful lips. Enter: best lip exfoliators.
How to do it?
Get your hands on a scrub with a natural formula to start removing the flaky layer of skin. Take a small amount onto your fingers and gently scrub your lips in a circular motion. Wash it away with water.
I’ve actually written a whole article on the best Korean exfoliators for lips that are super soft and super pretty to look at.
I love the Organic Lip Scrub and have recommended it to so many people; they should pay me!
This Korean product is power-packed with natural ingredients and oils and free of parabens, sulfates, and phthalates.
If this isn’t your style, feel free to take some time out and make a DIY lip scrub that puts these store-bought products to shame. (not really, you know I exaggerate!).
- GREAT GIFT IDEA: Whether you are looking for stocking stuffer ideas or a small gift for women, or Christmas gift ideas - we have you covered. This exfoliating lip scrub & lip exfoliant is great for skincare & makeup lovers.
- USA MADE, CERTIFIED ORGANIC & CRUELTY FREE: This dry lip treatment exfoliates and acts as a lip conditioner. It is a lip exfoliator scrub & moisturizer made with Fair Trade Certified Sugar. Take your lip care to the next level!
- HAVE GORGEOUS SOFT LIPS: This lip repair scrub can be used with or without a lip scrub brush. It is lip scrub for dark lips and light lips alike. Pair with the Beauty by Earth Vanilla Lip Balm for the best lip repair.
- LIP THERAPY FOR DRY LIPS: Have drop dead gorgeous & hydrated lips, even during the driest months. Use it to brighten dark lips or simply prepping your lips for lipstick or lip gloss.
- LOVE IT OR LET US KNOW: We are sure you will love this lip exfoliating scrub with its wonderful ingredients, taste and results. As a family owned business, your satisfaction is our guarantee.
Step 3: Hydrate your lips.
The third and the most crucial step of all is to hydrate your puckers for lips that are soooo incredibly awesome to look at and feel.
Several conventional lip balms are rich in natural oils such as olive oil, Vitamins, and other nourishing ingredients.
How to do it?
A classic lip balm is pretty easy to apply. A conditioning lip balm often comes in a small tube that is easy to carry in a purse.
And for a good reason too, since it is best to apply lip balms to your lips often. Just take one of these babies out and swipe them across your chapped skin for instant hydration.
The Burt’s Bees lip balms feel pretty amazing on the lips and smell so good!
They are infused with fruit extracts, including pink grapefruit seed oil and a beeswax base to provide intense hydration to your lips.
The hint of peppermint oil adds a slight tingle and helps plump up the lips even more.
- Moisturizing LIP care: Renew your lips with more butter and less wax in this ultra conditioning Burt's Bees formula that locks in moisture to comfort dry lips
- Total hydration: Smooth and nourish dry lips with rich Kokum, Shea and cocoa butter for extra hydration and ultimate moisture
- Ultra conditioning: Just 1 swipe of this conditioning lip balm leaves your lips smooth and refreshed for up to 4 hours
- All natural: Enriched with 100% natural ingredients, this natural lip moisturizer is formulated without parabens, phthalates, petrolatum or SLS
- Burts Bees lip balm: Burt's Bees knows how to naturally beautify and revitalize your lips with this lip balm that is formulated without parabens, phthalates, petrolatum or SLS
Step 4: Add a lip mask.
Adding a hydrating lip mask to your beauty routine is the final step to getting lips that are so soft and kissable.
Conventional lip balms are pretty good, too, don’t get me wrong, but if you can get a lip mask treatment, that’s just going to up your lip game.
That’s because a lip mask treatment is heavier in consistency than lip balms and loaded with ingredients that reveal plump lips.
How to do it?
Because of their thicker consistency, lip masks are meant to go on your lips before sleeping.
The intense formula is meant to stay on your lips for a good 4 or 5 hours (or 7 or 8 hours if you’re lucky enough to sleep that long) and provide intense hydration.
Take a tiny goop of your favorite overnight lip treatment and slather it on before hitting the sack.
Laneige makes one of Korea’s top-selling lip treatment masks that has earned so many beauty awards.
If you use the product, you’ll understand why it is such a beauty editor staple.
The Laneige lip sleeping mask is a beloved sleep mask full of antioxidants and hyaluronic acid that softens and soothes your lips all night.
- What it is: A leave-on lip mask that delivers intense moisture and antioxidants while you sleep with Berry Fruit Complex, Murumuru seed and Shea butter.
- Berry Mix Complex: Rich in antioxidants to help reveal smooth and supple looking lips.
- Coconut Oil, Shea Butter, and Murumuru Seed Butter: Help nourish & deliver lasting moisture while you sleep.
- Vitamin C: Helps protect from external aggressors.
Find out more useful tips in this video:
Also Check: The Best Face Exfoliator For Mature Skin
How do Koreans never have chapped lips?
Koreans exfoliate their lips regularly to get rid of flaky skin. They also use many beautiful k-beauty masks that go deep within their lips and keep them hydrated and soft.
How do overnight lip masks work?
Lip masks are power-packed with feel-good ingredients such as coconut oil and hyaluronic acid that work all night to eliminate flaky skin and reveal plump skin.
Do lip sleeping masks work?
Absolutely. A little bit goes a long way and leaves your lips feeling as good as ever. Besides the Laneige masks, we also love the Agave lip mask and the API Meme Lip mask for their hydrating properties.
Your lips can make or break your look. I mean, imagine looking like a Goddess and having to walk out with chapped lips.
Not anymore! With the Korean lip care routine, everyone can get gorgeous puckers. And that includes you. Yes, you, dear reader! It’s time to get gorgeous lips.
- “How to Exfoliate Your Lips the Right Way: DIY Lip Scrub.” 2020. Beverly Hills MD. June 4, 2020. https://beverlyhillsmd.com/exfoliate-lips/.
- Junkee, The Beauty. n.d. “HOW TO: Remove Matte Lipstick Properly.” Accessed July 28, 2021. https://thebeautyjunkee.blogspot.com/2012/09/how-to-remove-matte-lipstick-properly.html.
- “Shop Lip Treatment at Soko Glam | Soko Glam.” n.d. Sokoglam.com. Accessed July 28, 2021. https://sokoglam.com/collections/lip-treatment.
Can you share your Korean lip care routine with us? We’d love to hear it in the comments below!